14 Nov Talk Boost KS1 training
In October, Anita attended Talk Boost KS1 Licensee training at I CAN’s headquarters in London. She is now able to train and support staff with delivering the Talk Boost KS1 intervention programme in schools. Read on to find out more about Talk Boost KS1:
What is Talk Boost KS1?
Talk Boost KS1 is a language intervention for 4-7 year olds, delivered by a trained teaching assistant 3 times per week for 10 weeks, with linked whole class activities. It boosts the language and communication skills of children who have not had the opportunity to develop their language skills, either through lack of good language models in their early years or because they are learning English for the first time.
How do we know Talk Boost KS1 works?
Talk Boost KS1 has been found to have statistically significant results, showing that on average children made between 9-18 months progress in language levels over the 10 week intervention period.
What level of intervention is Talk Boost KS1?
Talk Boost KS1 is a targeted intervention. It is carried out by a trained teaching assistant in small groups, with whole class activities delivered by the teacher. It comes with a tracker which allows before and after measures to be taken to show progress. The online version of the tracker enables you to generate reports to share with colleagues and parents.
What training is required to deliver Talk Boost KS1?
Pairs consisting of a teaching assistant and a teacher must attend one day’s Talk Boost KS1 training to give them the skills and knowledge they require to understand the rationale behind Talk Boost KS1, identify appropriate children, measure their progress and deliver the intervention. The one day training can be split into multiple shorter sessions if needed.
Who can be trained in Talk Boost KS1?
Anyone working in a support capacity with children in Reception, Year one and/or Year two can be trained to deliver the intervention, as long as they are accompanied on the training by a teacher who will work with them to select appropriate children, measure their progress and moderate the quality of the delivery of the programme.
How much does the intervention pack cost?
The Talk Boost KS1 intervention pack costs £500 and contains:
- An Intervention Manual containing detailed group session plans and resources required
- A Teacher Manual that guides teachers in selecting the right children, tracking their progress and managing the overall operation of the groups
- 12 Children’s Activity books to reinforce what has been taught in the group sessions
- Access to the Classroom Checklist, Online Tracker Tool and Child Attitude Survey to measure and analyse progress which supports Pupil Premium
- Access to the Communication Cookbook which contains fun activities to support children’s language and communication
- Talk Boost KS1 Toolkit which contains a set of musical instruments, toys, and activity materials designed to make your Talk Boost KS1 sessions even more convenient
If Talk Boost KS1 is something that you are interested in for your school, please contact your C&D therapist or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss training opportunities.